Hi guys, welcome to another makeup artist feature series. Today we will get to know Irene D’sa, a 22 year old makeup artist based in Belfast but originally born in South Africa. Irene is able to travel anywhere her craft takes her.
I saw Irene’s Instagram profile and loved it, her eye makeup caught my attention and it got featured on my Instagram page. I then reached out to Irene via Instagram and she replied almost immediately which made me feel so honoured. We went back and forth a few times but it’s been a real pleasure working with her. Please enjoy the interview and I’ll see you in my next post…….
Love Dee xoxo
Q & A With Irene D’sa
- Before makeup what were you doing? Well, I can’t really imagine my life without makeup. All my life there was a fascination with makeup and I’m always painting coupled with that, I studied costume design so the interest was always there.
- What inspired you to do makeup? My biggest inspirations were my grandmother and my sister. Nana always wears her red lipstick with classic eyeliner! and my sister always did her makeup before work so I’d watch her do her makeup from start to finish and that just really fascinated me.
- How or where did you learn how to do makeup? I’m self-taught, I went to art school but that’s about it. I’ve never taken any makeup course.
- If you had a chance, which celebrity will you like to work on? I’ll love to work on Lady Gaga, she is always so put there with her makeup! She’s not afraid to take risks. I would also love to work with Pat McGarth. Makeupandmuas: In case you wondering who Pat McGarth is, she’s a British makeup artist and she’s been called the most influential makeup artist in the world by Vogue magazine and other commentators.
- Do you have your own make-up academy or are you looking to start one? At the moment I don’t have an academy but I would love to have one soon!
- You are 22, how long have you been doing makeup? *smiles* I have been doing makeup since I was 16 so 6 years now and I’ve enjoyed every bit of it.
- What type of makeup do you specialise in? I specialise in all sorts of makeup; glam, avant grade, weddings, natural, theatrical, runway. I don’t want to be confined to one particular area so I branch out. I also really enjoy recreating eye art.
- What are your favourite makeup products? wow that’s a hard one cos I like them all however, I love Sugarpill cosmetics, they are very affordable and the quality of the eyeshadow is amazing! Anastacia Beverly Hill eyebrow pomade! I could go on and on…
- Have you ever had a nightmare client? What was your experience? oh yes! Once I had a client, she gave me the wrong address and I showed up at someone else’s door! That was funny.
- What is or are your highlights in the makeup industry? My highlights in the industry are definitely my followers! Thank You Guys.
- If you were to chose two makeup products what will they be? Hmm this will have to be the Anastasia brow pomade and a Jeffree Star lipstick.
- What is your favourite makeup look? This would be a cut crease…… I love a good cut crease too *smiles*
- Can you foretell this years’ makeup look? This years’ makeup trend is going to be something with eyeliner. Negative space eyeliner or something similar.
- What trends are we ditching in 2017? I think we may be ditching the heavy contouring.
- Any future goals? My future goals are to have my own makeup brand someday and own my very own makeup academy…. Makeupandmuas: When you do start your own brand, I’ll love to do some reviews for you.
- Final words, what advice will you give aspiring makeup artists? My advice to anyone starting would be not to give up. The makeup industry is experiencing so much growth. I know sometimes I do feel uninspired but you just need to find your mojo or maybe get it back! Find your own style, and don’t just follow the trend for the sake of it. Do what you love and yow will be rewarded in due time.
Email – Irene_desa@hotmail.com
Instagram – @dsamakeup *click name*